Dealing with Anxiety & Mental Health Issues during the Coronavirus Pandemic
I am constantly thinking about those of you who are feeling a great deal of anxiety due to the coronavirus Pandemic. We are all experiencing some anxiety but those with pre-exisiting Mental Health Conditions are affected to a much greater extent. If you are among this population or if you are feeling a greater than normal anxiety level, consider talking to a mental health professional who can help you.
Here are some basic tips for decreasing anxiety:
1. Limit your media exposure. Constant exposure to the numbers and risk factors will likely feed our anxiety level and increase it further.
2. Do what you can to protect yourself. Action is an antidote to anxiety. If you are proactive about your part in staying safe you will feel less anxious.
3. Choose a way to help others during this situation. It could be a phone call, text, financial support or sending necessary items to those in need. Having a focus outside yourself will likely decrease anxiety.
4. Utilize breathing techniques to release anxiety. My personal favorite is the 4-7-8 method. Inhale for 4, hold for 7. exhale for 8 seconds. The longer you exhale the more tension you will release.
8. Keep busy, healthy distractions are the best way of keeping away the worrisome thoughts.